The Double Blues have taken out the South Australian A Grade Concert Band title once again at the South Australian Band Championships this weekend. In a performance to be proud of, the band performed the hymn Ave Maria (arr. Frank Ticheli) which the adjudicator described as superb, the own choice major work ‘Second Suite for Band’ by Alfred Reed and the much loved Eric Coates march ‘The Dambusters’ . (Hymn: 45, Own Choice 93, March 46). Comments from spectators, adjudicators and bandspeople complimented the band on its sound, control throughout the programme & tightness of ensemble. Well done to the whole band for their hard work in the lead up to the competition and to our MD Stephen Boyle for his excellent work!
The Double Blues then took to the streets of Hahndorf in the Parade of Bands, coming out once again on top, winning the best band overall, sporting an impressive drill score of 96/100! Well done to our Drum Major Jeff Hale for his tireless efforts and enthusiasm and for winning the ‘Best Drum Major’ of the day!
Finally, there have been multiple successes in the solo and party events across the weekend for UCB. Hearty congratulations go to Alison Harris for winning the Open Brass Champion of Champions for 2014 with a brilliant performance on french horn against tough competition.
Congratulations go to the following players:
- David Eldridge – 1st, Open Bass Trombone
- Andrew Edgeworth – 1st, Open Trumpet
- Alison Harris – 1st, Open French Horn
- Andrew Edgeworth/Angelo Valdivia – 1st, Open Brass Duet
- David Eldridge/Stephen Boyle – 2nd, Open Brass Duet
- Nicole Molloy – 1st, Open Clarinet
- Elizabeth Neal – 2nd, Open Clarinet
- Anna Bui – 3rd, Open Clarinet
- Jade McEvoy – 1st, Open Flute
- Dominic Meehan – 1st, Open Alto Saxophone
- Stephen Heuzenroeder – 2nd, Open Alto Saxophone
- Rhiannon Trimby – 3rd, Open Alto Saxophone
- Kate Flint – 1st, Open Baritone Saxophone
- Jade McEvoy/Nicole Molloy – 2nd, Open Woodwind Duet
- UCB Sax Quartet 1 (Rhiannon Trimby, Stephen Heuzenroeder, Albert George, Kate Flint) – 2nd, Open Quartet
- UCB Sax Quintet 1 (Rhiannon Trimby, Dominic Meehan, Stephen Heuzenroeder, Albert George, Kate Flint) – 1st, Open Quintet
- UCB Sax Quartet 2 (Lindsay Heesom, Stephen Jarman, Elizabeth Neal, Andreas Pretterhofer) – 1st, Open Free Ensemble
- UCB Sax Quintet 2 (Andrew Heuzenroeder, Stephen Heuzenroeder, Georga Byron, Lauren Murch, Sam Zanelli) – 2nd, Open Free Ensemble
UCB would like to thank the SABA executive and volunteers who helped to make the South Australian Band Championships a success! Looking forward to next year!
*Apologies if anybody has been left off this list!*