Unley Concert Band is the State Champion A Grade Concert Band once again after a great performance at the South Australian Band Championships, held at Trinity College Gawler last weekend. The band performed admirably in all sections of the on-stage competition, receiving scores of 44, 93, 45 (Total 182/200) for their hymn selection The King of Love My Shepherd Is, the own choice major work Godzilla Eats Las Vegas and march selection Amparita Roca. Godzilla Eats Las Vegas, complete with Godzilla ‘roaring’ from the horn section, screaming and dog barking from the rest of the band, was particularly popular with the audience and adjudicator. The band had a great time performing this great programmatic work by Eric Whitacre for a large audience.
The band came a narrow second place to Enfield Brass in the Parade of Bands on the Sunday morning, held along the perimeter of the Trinity College grounds, with an appreciative audience of sheep, goats and alpacas! Congratulations to Phil Benger and the Enfield team for a great effort!
UCB soloists also dominated the solo and party competitions across the weekend, winning or placing in every section entered.
Congratulations go to:
- Sarah Butler – 1st Open Trumpet
- Andrew Edgeworth – 2nd Open Trumpet
- Anthony Rogers – 1st Open Euphonium
- Sarah Byron – 1st – Open Alto Saxophone
- Stephen Heuzenroeder – 2nd Open Alto Saxophone
- Kate Flint – 1st – Open Baritone Saxophone
- Nicole Molloy – 1st – Open Clarinet
- Jade McEvoy – 1st Open Flute
- Jade McEvoy and Danielle Pedler – 2nd Open Woodwind Duet
- Janet Stone, Andreas Pretterhofer, Stephen Jarman and Nicole Molloy – 1st Open Free Woodwind Ensemble
- Kate Flint, Rhiannon Trimby and Angelo Valdivia – 2nd Open Free Woodwind Ensemble
(Also congratulations to Stuart Jones – 1st Open Soprano Cornet and Anthony Rogers, 2nd Open Baritone who were competing under the name of other bands)
The winners of these solo sections will be eligible to compete in the Champion of Champions event which is to be held at Concordia College on Sunday October 18th 2015. Please consider coming along to support our band members in this event.
The band would like to thank all UCB members who helped out at the championships in a volunteer capacity as well as transporting equipment to and from Gawler. Many thanks go to our hard working MD Stephen Boyle and Jeff Hale, drum major extraordinaire, for their tireless efforts leading the band in their respective areas.
Well done, Double Blues!