Unley Concert Band are once again Australian National Marching Champions for Open A Grade concert, winning the Parade of Bands at the Australian National Band Championships last weekend in Brisbane. The band marched proudly to Glorious Victory in Brisbane’s CBD, performing a well rehearsed change of direction to loud applause and great feedback from onlookers both in Queensland and watching at home on the live streaming. Although technically not scored against the A grade brass bands, the Double Blues’ scores for the Parade of Bands placed the band equal second overall in the competition.
Inspection 16, Drill 81, Music 42, Change of Direction 17.
A fine effort from all involved. Thanks once again to our Drum Major, Jeff Hale, for his dedication and enthusiasm for our now four-time champion A grade marching band.
In the onstage competition, UCB competed on late Easter Saturday night at the Edmund Rice Performing Arts Centre. In Open A Grade, the band performed the hymn Jerusalem, the test piece Elgar Variations by Martin Ellerby, the own choice work Festival Variations by Claude T Smith and the stage march Glorious Victory. The band placed 6th in the competition against some stiff competition and are looking forward to possibly contending the next Nationals to be held in Sydney in 2015 in conjunction with centenary Anzac celebrations. Many thanks to our Musical Director Stephen Boyle for his hard work and preparation for the contest, to the UCB committee for their work in getting the band there, and to all the band members who made the trip to Brisbane a success.
The band also had several successes in the solo and party championships on Easter Monday with close to 20 soloists wearing the Double Blues. **Apologies if anybody has been left off the following lists.
Congratulations to the following people for their wins and placings:
- Dominic Meehan – 1st in Open Alto Saxophone
- Levi Whitworth – 1st in Open Snare/Side Drum
- Anna Day – 1st in Open Bass Clarinet
- Unley Concert Band Brass Quintet – 2nd in Open Quintet
- Sarah Byron – 2nd in Open Alto Saxophone
- Rhiannon Trimby – 2nd in Open Tenor Saxophone
- Kate Flint – 2nd in Open Baritone Saxophone
Well done to our other members who all put in great performances in solo/party events :
- Jade McEvoy and Janet Stone – Open Flute
- Andrew Heuzenroeder, Stephen Jarman and Nicole Molloy – Open Clarinet
- Stephen Heuzenroeder – Open Alto Saxophone
- David Eldridge – Open Bass Trombone
- Anthony Rogers – Open Euphonium
- UCB Sax Quartet, Wind Quartet and Clarinet Quartet – Open Quartet
- UCB Clarinet Quintet – Open Quintet
Onwards and upwards!