Unley has placed third overall in the Open A Grade Concert division of the Centenary of ANZAC Australian National Band Championships over the Easter weekend!
The contest found the band in a section of six A Grade wind bands which included multiple national champion ensembles such as Castle Hill RSL North West Wind Ensemble, Sydney Wind Symphony and Hobart Wind Symphony.
After a performance of a highly demanding hymn “O Magnum Mysterium” by Morten Lauridsen, the newly commissioned Anzac themed test work “25 April 1915” by Graham Lloyd, the own choice selection “Danceries” by Kenneth Hesketh and the lively Grainger-esque “Little Ripper March” by Australian composer David Stanhope, UCB was thrilled to place first in the Hymn section and third (or equal third) overall behind five-time champions North West Wind Ensemble, and Canberra City Band. A fantastic result all round. If any of our supporters missed our performance, you can hear a recording (without adjudication) here, courtesy of the great people at Brass Banned.
Photos courtesy of the brassbanned.com live stream (taken live on her TV by our supporting member in the UK, Jenny!)
Congratulations also go to our many soloists and ensembles who competed in various sections on Easter Monday. Special congratulations goes to Dominic Meehan who won the 2015 Open Concert Band Champion of Champions event on alto saxophone! Great work!
Well done to all our soloists and ensembles!
- Alison Harris – 1st in Open French Horn
- Dominic Meehan – 1st in Open Alto Saxophone
- Sarah Byron – 3rd in Open Alto Saxophone
- David Eldridge – 4th in Open Bass Trombone
- Philip Harris – 7th in Open Tenor Trombone
- UCB Trumpet Ensemble – 5th in Open Quintet
- UCB Clarinet Quartet – equal 6th in Open Quartet
- UCB Flute Quartet – equal 10th in Open Quartet
- UCB Saxophone Quartet – equal 11th in Open Quartet
- Laura Possingham – 3rd in Open Flute (for Onkaparinga)
- Alison Harris – 5th in Open Tenor Horn (for K&N)
The Double Blues would like to extend congratulations to our friends at Marion City Band & Warriparinga Brass and Trinity College for their excellent results at the Nationals this year! Great job, South Australia!
Looking forward to performing to a home town crowd next year when the Nationals come to South Australia! Stay tuned for more details as they come!